Saturday, April 3, 2010

Homemade Carrot Cake and Cream Cheese Frosting


I come from a family of cake lovers. My dad would always get a cake for any occasion that would came up so I grew up eating a lot of cake. Since I have always loved baking, I want to try making more cakes. One cake that I have always liked at restaurants but have never tried making is carrot cake so I figured it was about time I give it a shot.

I once again went to allrecipes.com to find the best carrot cake with cream cheese frosting recipe that I could find and altered it to my taste. It was a big hit and make a good amount. I ended up making 12 cupcakes and a 9x9 cake. I brought the cake over to Jenn and Matt's and we were all able to enjoy it.


Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
(adapted from the Carrot Cake III recipe on allrecipes.com)
Ingredients
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 3 cups grated carrots

  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 4 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.
  2. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir in carrots. Pour into prepared pan.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
  4. To Make Frosting: In a medium bowl, combine butter, cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Frost the cooled cake.


1 comment:

laurel delange said...

Alec also LOVES carrot cake, maybe I'll have to try that for him some time! And today at Target I saw the most awesome cupcake book, it was SO cute. Made me think that would be something you guys would do :) You inspire me FYI, so keep 'em coming.