Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Lasagna Rolls

Lasagna is one of those staples for almost every family. My mom had always made lasagna from scratch and it was one of my sister, Libbey's, favorite meals so we had it fairly often. I had never really thought about the work that goes into lasagna until I made my first one with Jenn. Lasagna is one labor intensive meal and takes an army to eat.

The problem with lasagna is how in the world can just two people eat a whole pan of lasagna. Solution......LASAGNA ROLLS! Lasagna rolls are great for both making smaller portions of lasagna or substituting them for stuffed shells in a recipe when you don't have the shells on hand. Since I had a large amount of spinach in my freezer I decided to make vegetarian lasagna rolls instead of the traditional meat and cheese variety. I found a recipe on Kraft Foods for Savory Feta-Filled Shells and decided to adapt a recipe from that for my lasagna rolls. With that recipe I ended up have two 9x9 pans of lasagna rolls. We had one pan for dinner than night and lunches the next day and stuck the other pan in the freezer.

Spinach Lasagna Rolls

what you need
1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, well drained
15 oz. ricotta cheese
1 pkg. (4 oz.) feta cheese, crumbled
1/4 C mozzerella
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 pkg. lasagna noodles
1 jar marinara sauce
Make It

PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Mix spinach, ricotta cheese, most of the feta cheese and mozzarella cheese and the garlic powder.


Spread mixture over lasagna noodles, roll up; place in 10x6-inch baking dish.




Top evenly with the sauce and remaining feta cheese and mozzarella.



BAKE 20 min. or until heated through.

The other tip I have is for making homemade garlic bread. Often time I have some leftover buns sitting around that make for great garlic bread. Just spread a thin layer of butter or margarine on the bun, sprinkle with garlic powder, and top with mozzarella or parmesan cheese. Put the buns on a pan and toast in the over until golden brown and cheese is melted.



Here you have the finished product!



No comments: