Monday, August 23, 2010

Pork Loin with Peach Marinade


I am generally scared of cooking pork, mainly because I don't have much experience doing it. I needed a change from our usual summer meals and when I saw that pork loin was half-off at Meijer last week, I thought I would give it a try.

When I got it home, it looked HUGE, even though the entire five pounds cost only $7.50! I planned on making it for when Catherine and Aaron were coming over, and I knew that even with them we could not demolish the entire thing. I promptly cut it and put half in the freezer.

Because I had never had pork loin before, I had NO idea how to make it. I searched all of my cookbooks and didn't find much. I even consulted my mom, who always gives good advice. My Costco cookbook (Homecooking: The Costco Way) had "Ol' Gramma's Stone Fruit Marinade" for a pork loin. It called for any type of stone fruit (nectarines, peaches, or plums) and I had just bought some peaches from the farmer's market. Perfect!

I gave it a try and it turned out great! It was moist and flavorful. I was relieved that we had something edible to eat that night and I feel much more confident about cooking pork now. I can't wait to use the other half from my freezer and make it again!

Pork Loin with Peach Marinade
*Adapted from Homecooking: The Costco Way

3 peaches (or nectarines or plums), cut into chunks
1/2 c packed brown sugar
3 T olive oil
1/4 c cider vinegar
dash of Worcestershire sauce
dash of black pepper
1 clove crushed garlic
1 3-4 lb. boneless pork loin

1. Place all ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend until pureed. Pour 2/3 of the mixture over pork and marinade for 12-24 hours. Save 1/3 of the mixture for later.

2. Pre-heat the oven to 325 F. Sear the pork in oil for a few minutes a side. It helps if you can do this in an oven safe pan!
Cover the pan (I just used the pan lid) and cook for about 1.5-2 hours or until the pork reaches 155 F. In the last 20 minutes, heat the saved pureed mixture in a saucepan.

3. Let the meat rest for 5 minutes and slice. Serve with the peach sauce and a peach garnish!



1 comment:

Caryn Tayeh said...

That's hardcore, Jenn! Good job!